Saturday, July 2, 2011

…But Not Fast Enough

Friday was the make or break point with the trainer.  I am 3 weeks away from the show and it was now or never to decide if I would come in where I wanted to be.  I knew my chances were slim and had already convinced myself that choosing another date and delaying everything would give me more time.  So after stripping down, snapping a few pics, seeing the progress and reviewing the results….we decided it wasn’t my time yet.  It wasn’t a tough decision to make.  Like I said before, I want the chance to compete…not just the chance to get on stage.  I walked out of the trainer’s office with a weight off my shoulder.  The stress of getting ready in three weeks was gone.  WC was ready.  He was beyond ready and could walk on stage in a few days if needed.  So the next three weeks will be about keeping him focused and continuing to prep. 

The next show for me is likely in September….an additional 8 weeks on top of the original 16.  All of the morning cardio sessions I thought were going to come to an end, the strict eating, the inability to go out for a meal, and the disciplined training routines will continue.  Trying to grasp all of that made for a tough day mentally on Friday.  How bad did I want this?  Could I sacrifice the time?  How do I deal with distractions along the way?  Am I even cut out for this?  Lots of questions with very few answers swirled around me on Friday during the day. 

Friday evening was different.  I got a taste of normalcy and what I was missing.  I had several moments where I was ready to give it all up.  It was the easy road out of town.  But I didn’t.  I realized that night that I set out to accomplish something I had never considered before.  This was why I had left the former life behind.  I want to try new things, have experiences that most don’t or can’t, and push myself harder than I ever have.  Life happens… and when will I get this chance again.  Was I really willing to throw away the goal because 8 more weeks was too long?  I realized that night that I had to finish this….because I wanted to.   

No comments:

Post a Comment