Monday, June 27, 2011

Week 6–The Opposite of Progress

It has taken me a couple of weeks to write this entry and here is the reason why…  I usually wake up each Monday morning and head straight for the scale.  Same routine this week…except that I was ready to crawl back in to bed after seeing the number on the scale…207.  That is a 3 pound gain from the previous week.  I stood there for what felt like an eternity.  Thinking of everything I ate.  Every cardio session.  Every set and rep I went through.  I didn’t stray at all this week and felt I was even pushing the intensity levels to the breaking point.  So my reward was +3 pounds.  Yeah, going back to bed was definitely what I wanted to do, but instead I did what any insane person would do….threw on my workout clothes, cooked my breakfast and headed to the gym.  I was waiting for the look on the trainer’s face when I told him my news…surely he would be as surprised as I was.  Nope, he didn’t skip a beat.  Told me to not even think for 2 seconds about it and to weigh again on Wednesday.  He was right…by Wednesday I dropped the 3 pounds.  Water retention, stress, smelling carbs in the bakery aisle…there were all sorts of ideas on what happened.  But by Wednesday my confidence levels were back and I was moving forward.

The rest of the week was uneventful.  Same lower back pain.  Same twice a week leg workouts.  Otherwise everything is going as planned.  Here is what the leg workout looks like:

Leg Extensions:  4x12 w/ 15 half reps

Smith Machine Bench Squat:  1x15 feet together, 1x15 feet shoulder width, 1x15 normal

Lumberjacks:  4x10

Unilateral Leg Extensions:  4x12

Smith Machine Lunges:  3x15

Stiff Leg Deadlifts:  3x30

Leg Curls:  4x12 w/ 15 half reps

Calf Raises:  5x15 squeeze at top

It’s brutal.  And to do it on Monday and Friday is even worse.  It does hit every muscle in the leg, so we got that going for us.  The trainer did start talking about the next offseason…we may need to negotiate if he throws in lunges again.   

No comments:

Post a Comment