Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tuesday = Pullups

Gone are the days when I eat for fun!  I occasionally have a candy bar or fast food to fulfill a craving, but now I eat to satisfy some intake of carbs/fat/protein.  It's odd...food I never thought I would eat is now a staple to my daily nutrition.  For example...oatmeal!  Water and oats!  That's it!  I add a couple scoops of natty peanut butter to help get it down (therefore adding some protein/fat)...but it has to be one of the most boring meals I consume.  I remember when I first started training and eating right and the trainer would say 'Listen to your body' and 'Only eat when you're hungry.'  I had no clue what he meant.  After several years of listening I can tell when my body wants carbs and when it wants protein and when it doesn't want any food at all.  I sabotage myself all the time, but those days are becoming more and more rare as I have created this new goal.  I know when those days are coming and I either A) beat myself up for it, B) say what the heck and enjoy myself, or C) plan ahead and have my meals ready to go.  Choosing A or B usually leads to a sore stomach!  Off-season eating is a little different.  Even when I'm not hungry I still eat.  I'm always full and by the time I finish one meal I am getting ready to fix the next one.   

So today went like this...
I am still feeling sick and congested.  Go away stupid cold!  The mornings are the worst and I'm hoping its gone tomorrow.  Food was similar to yesterday.  It's boring, but I never have to guess about what I am eating.  Plus it makes grocery shopping a snap.  I love my job, but spending 4-5 hours at my desk and then getting in the mindset to go lift heavy is a stretch.  I've become a high maintenance gym-goer.  I now require a quick cup of black coffee along with my pre-workout mix to boost my energy levels.  Without it and I feel completely sluggish.  Black coffee....something else I never consumed!  Today was back and biceps:

Pullups:  4 to failure
Bent Over Row:  2x10, 6
One Arm T-bar Row:  1x8
Straight Bar Curl:  2x10, 6
Preacher Curl:  2x10, 6
Smith Machine Shrugs:  3x12
Stiff Leg Deadlifts:  3x15, 12, 10

Good progress on all of these today.  Last week was jacked up with the cold, so I did this same routine on Saturday at a different gym.  I was afraid these muscles would be sore from the quick turnaround, but I was able to increase weights.  After work I went to the store and bought enough food to get me through the next week or two.  Tomorrow is a much needed recovery day before leg day on Thursday.    

No comments:

Post a Comment