Sunday, March 4, 2012

I’m Back! Catching up on the last 6 months!

It has taken me almost 6 months since the competition to get back to blogging.  No real reason comes to mind.  I’ve been lifting, eating good…but there was no strong desire to sit down and chronicle my day to day happenings.  So here is the last 6 months.

I was happy with my results at the competition.  I learned a lot and had a great time from start to finish.  Two days after the competition I woke up at 6am and headed for the gym for cardio.  That afternoon I headed back to lift weights.  It was total habit at that point!  Just because of work and life I find it easier to split my workout into two sessions.  Six months later I am on the same plan:  40-70 minutes of cardio in the morning 5 days a week AND lifting weights 4 days a week.  The first few weeks were tough.  I wandered around the gym aimlessly, trying different plans, trying to get my strength back.  There just wasn’t much motivation other than showing up each day.  I finally found a new lifting partner.  Actually, a few guys were asking if they could lift with me, but I settled on a couple of guys that worked the same schedule at the office.  Between the two guys, I was hoping at least one of them was there each day to help me lift.  It helped!  I got the kick in the rear I needed and not a moment too late.  We used an old lifting plan from the previous year.  It used warm-up sets, followed by a low rep set to push as much weight as possible.  Maybe even a drop set if we felt like it.  The goal was to add 5-10 pounds of weight to each lift each week.  Squat went from 225 to 405 in no time at all.  It felt good to see the weights go up each week.

Food was interesting!  I modified my all-protein eating plan to include some simple carbs (rice and fruit).  I also allowed myself an off night every few days.  But the rest of the meals were similar.  Eggs, protein shakes, almonds, chicken, beef, peanut butter and my co-workers favorite…broccoli).  At the competition I weighed 180.  Six months later I weigh in at 192. 

So what’s next…

Showing up at the gym is too easy.  I ‘m there twice a day.  So my focus is on growth of lean muscle mass.  Surprise!  Surprise!  This includes working my tail off on the areas that need help (my quads and chest).  I am keeping up with the cardio just to stay lean and it provides some time to read a book.  I haven’t decided on whether I am doing another show or when, but I want to stay within range of a 12-16 week prep.  My last prep lasted 24 weeks.  The trainer is still helping me out mentally and physically.  I no longer consider myself a beginner, but having someone to throw ideas against is a huge advantage! 

Here are a few more pics from the show and right after!
KC14
KC13    
KC12
KC17
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment