Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Starting out and prepping for 2011

This is my first blog entry, so I better start with a little background.  This year was filled with lots of new adventures and it looks like 2011 is going to be an extension of what I started.  I work the typical 8-5, but I have a few perks that most don’t.  I have a fully equipped gym at my office, a professional trainer at an arm’s reach and a flexible work schedule that allows me to hit the gym at all hours of the day.  I started this blog as I am in the offseason for training for my first bodybuilding competition.  I eat eggs like they are candy, train like I enjoy pain, and am surrounded by some real characters….this blog will follow the day to day life of a guy trying not to HIT THE WALL!  

I noticed several months ago that I was doing lots of stuff…’for the fun of it.’  Why did I run?  For the fun of it!  Why did I lift weights?  For the fun of it!  So then I was asked by a couple of friends…why don’t you set a pinnacle goal.  Run and lift for something other than just for the fun of it.  What’s this?  A challenge?  My first goal was not easy.  A half marathon.  Sixteen grueling weeks of running 4-5 days a week.  I finished in 2:05.  How far can you run without stopping?  When I started it was exactly 3.25 miles.  At one point I thought getting hit by a bus would feel better than what my body felt like during that run.  3.25 miles - Not one step further!  By the end I could run over 13….and I enjoyed every step of it.

I considered becoming a full time runner.  I like the thrill of races.  Everyone lined up next to me….running as fast as I can while the 13 year old kid that passes me barely breaks a sweat…telling myself that I can eat pizza as soon as I’m done. 

But I’ve been lifting consistently for over 3 years.  Eating pretty strict for the same amount of time.  I didn’t want to lose the strength and size I had gained over those years.  The trainer had competed several times before and was branching out into contest prep and thought I had enough size to get up on stage.  He was willing to take me through the process.  A fellow co-worker wanted to train for the competition as well.  Two people in my corner…enough said.  I had a few weeks until the half marathon to decide.  By the time my legs recovered from the race, I was dead set on going after goal #2…train to compete as a bodybuilder!   

Here is a recent pic…

IMG00046-20100813-1642

And here is what the pain and joy of running 13.1 miles looks like…

BP Marathon 003

BP Marathon 010

1 comment:

  1. Wow! from what I've been reading on your blog you have done well! I congratulate you! If you feel like you need an extra edge to finish well go to www.advocare.com/11023999 and check out the Performance Elite product line. I think you will like them. If this info is helpful, yay for both of us, if it wasn't then just disregard. I am The Kitchen Cookie btw :) perhaps I can think of a healthy recipe to post :) I hope the next few days go well for you!

    ReplyDelete